1. 30% of our brains are engaged in the task of processing visual information, as compared with only 8% for touch and 3% for hearing.
2. When people hear information, they're likely to remember only 10% of that information three days later. However, if a relevant image is paired with that same information, people retained 65% of the information three days later. (lifelearn)
3. Consumers who are between the ages of 25 and 54 are the biggest content drivers—contributing 70% of all UGC. (SparkReel)
4. Social Media contributors have risen by 176 Million in the last year (social media today)
5. There are between Two to Four Billion uploads of images on social media per day.
6. The diffusion of stories are consistently “image-led.” Images can produce a “seismic shock” in terms of change of opinion, in media, and civil society. (Visual Social Media Lab). Not all images are iconic, but small pieces of authentic visuals can build trust and credibility over time.
7. 92% of consumers trust UGC over traditional advertising. (nielsen)
8. 86% of millennials say that UGC is generally a good indicator of the quality of a brand or service. (Bazaarvoice)
9. 59% of millennials say they use UGC to inform their purchase decisions about major electronics. That's followed by cars (54%), major appliances (53%), mobile phones (46%), hotels (45%), and travel plans (40%). (Crowdtap)
10. 70% of people place peer recommendations and reviews above professionally written content. (Reevo)
11. Content with relevant images get 94% more views than content without relevant images. (kissmetrics)
12. Visual content is more than 40x more likely to get shared on social media than other types of content. (buffer app)
13. On average, user-generated videos are viewed 10x more often than produced video content on news sites and youtube. (AP, Octoly)
14. Articles with an image once every 75-100 words got double the number of social shares than articles with fewer images. (buzz sumo)
15. 25% of search results for the world's 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content. (Kissmetrics)
16. Web content increasingly is dominated by user-generated content. Pinterest pin creation is up 75%, and Airbnb reviews are up 140% year-over-year. (Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers)
17. 46% of marketers say photography is critical to their current marketing and storytelling strategies. (cmocouncil)
18. 86% of businesses use content marketing; of those, 70% are creating more content than they did a year ago. (Content Marketing Institute)
19. Brand engagement rises by 28% when people are exposed to both professional content and user-generated product video. (comScore)
20. An estimated 30% of campaigns underperform due to collaboration delays between creative and media teams. (Social Code) Companies need social tools in order to collaborate in a real-time manner.
21. A whopping 40% of B2C marketers say visual content is the most important type of content. (social media examiner)
22. 65% of senior marketing executives believe that visual assets (photos, video, illustrations and infographics) are core to how their brand story is communicated. (cmocouncil)
23. Only 27% of marketers have a process in place to aggregate, organize, and manage the visual assets being used across their marketing teams. (cmocouncil)
24. 39% of marketers believe that more of their budget should be allocated to the acquisition or creation of compelling visual assets. (cmocouncil)
25. 73% of content creators plan to prioritize creating more engaging content in 2016, and 55% plan to prioritize creating visual content. (content marketing institute)
26. Customer photos on websites increases your visitor’s engagement rates by more than 20%.
27. On Instagram, photos showing faces get 38% more Likes than photos not showing faces. (gatech)
28. 53% of adults ages 18–29 years old say they use Instagram every single day. (Pew research center)
29. Today 32% of U.S. big companies will use Instagram for marketing this year. That number will increase to 49% next year before jumping to 71% in 2017. (eMarketer)
30. Instagram may be more popular with marketers than Twitter in two years. (eMarketer).
31. Companies that have launched Facebook and Instagram Ad campaigns using consumer-generated photos have seen up to a 50% increase in click through rate, over brand-created images, leading to a 5x Return on Ad Spend. (instagram partners)
32. Facebook posts with images see 2.3x more engagement than those without images. (buzz sumo)
33. Facebook remains the top social network for U.S. teens. Nearly half of teen Facebook users say they're using the site more than last year, and Facebook has more daily teen users than any other social network. (Business Insider) The majority of image content is created outside facebook, and uploaded to Facebook.
34. 34% of tweets are in English, followed closely by Japanese. In addition, users have increased six-fold since 2010, with international users holding the lion’s share. We take global content seriously, and can curate and license in any language. (Semiocast)
35. Tweets with images receive 150% more retweets than tweets without images. (kissmetrics)
36. Twitter remains more powerful and immediate than instagram for real-time events and campaigns. (Scopio)
Enter your email to receive our infographic on how user-generated images are transforming media